Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Four Unheard of Words


This morning started with a bit of breakfast, and a trip to a nearby park.
It wasn't too hot yet so I thought I'd let the kids play for about an hour before we
headed off to the fair grounds to turn in my photo entries.
Erik made friends instantly and ran off to play.
Emily explored some tunnels and slides and found out that even the 
bouncy padding, once covered in sand, can give a little knee a hard time. 
We found our way over to the swings that gave us a good view of
bro bro.

Erik and his new found friends were sneaking around with swords and grenades. {sticks and fists full of sand} Emily found this quite amusing. 
Erik was warned not to touch the lava...to which he replied, 
"Guys...I have special lava shoes."
But of coarse, I mean...it was obvious.
he he he.
He was the recon team. Setting out with the oh so dangerous 
mission of  scouting for teams of monsters. 
Every mothers worse nightmare. Why couldn't he pick a safe job....
Like supplies or accounting? lol.
It neared 10am. So our time at the park was expiring. 
In the past I have learned, that going straight from the playground
to the car often results in a meltdown. 


Now what we do is find a nice spot in the shade a 
little ways away from the general play area, 
and we sit and cool down with a little water, 
and a small snack before we finish our trek to the car. 
That way by the time we finish our drink and snack
and walk to the car talking about what else our day will hold,
the playground isn't on the front of their minds and we can
get into the car without it feeling like wresting two 
hell hounds into a tub of holy water. 

As we were relaxing in the shade I heard four little words that I have NEVER
heard out of a child's mouth while at the park before....
"We're ready to go."
One of the other two boys was also leaving, and the third said to his mom and sister
"We're ready to go...without Erik here it's not as fun."
It makes me proud that today Erik was the adventure leader. It makes me a 
little less anxious about the impending social awakening he is about to 
experience once he starts school. Today, was a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment